4 cups grass-fed stewing beef or bison cut to bite size pieces (approx 2 lbs)
4 cups (approx 2 lbs) raw butternut squash, cubed
2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 large stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms (white or crimini) cut into pieces
- 1 can tomato paste without salt added
- 1.5 tbsp garlic, minced
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup of organic cornstarch (non-GMO)
1 cup red wine
1 tbsp dried rosemary (or 2-3 tbsp fresh)
1/2 tbsp dried ground thyme (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 4-5 cups beef broth (GoBio cubes)
- sea salt & pepper (about 1 tsp each for meat seasoning and additional to taste)
Directions:1. In a large soup pot heat coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until the onions are tender, about 2
3. Toss the bison/beef cubes in salt and pepper and 1/2 the cornstarch.
4. Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot. Cook until the beef is browned and
golden around the edges, about 5 minutes.
5. Add wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the butternut squash, other vegetables and tomato paste stir to combine.
7. Add beef broth to just cover meat & veg and bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for at least 1 hour. Add additional cornstartch to thicken if needed.
8. Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings