- 4 cups grass-fed stewing beef or bison cut to bite size pieces (approx 2 lbs)
- 4 cups (approx 2 lbs) raw butternut squash, cubed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 large stalks celery, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms (white or crimini) cut into pieces
- 1 can tomato paste without salt added
- 1.5 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup of organic cornstarch (non-GMO)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary (or 2-3 tbsp fresh)
- 1/2 tbsp dried ground thyme (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 4-5 cups beef broth (GoBio cubes)
- sea salt & pepper (about 1 tsp each for meat seasoning and additional to taste)
- In a large soup pot heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, garlic, rosemary, and thyme and saute until the onions are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Toss the bison/beef cubes in salt and pepper and 1/2 the cornstarch.
- Turn up the heat to med-high and add the beef to the pot. Cook until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine. Using a wooden spoon, gently stir up all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Add the butternut squash, other vegetables and tomato paste stir to combine.
- Add beef broth to just cover meat & veg and bring the stew to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for at least 1 hour. Add additional cornstartch to thicken if needed.
- Season the stew with additional salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Breakdown per serving:
Calories: 290, Protein: 21g, Carbohydrates: 32g, Fat: 9.3g